Friday, November 26, 2010

Consumerism, Black Friday, and Christ


How does our relationship with Christ tie into all of this though?  This is where we should be bringing everything back to.   

I believe that if we miss Christ in all of this then we shouldn't be doing it.  If we are able to be consumers and still keep our focus on Christ then right on.  

The moment that we lose sight of Christ though is the moment that consumerism has become just another idol.  

Some people would take it to the extreme (and rightly so) saying that if you are not willing to stay up all night sharing Christ's love, doing his work.  Then why should you stay up all night shopping?  

To which could be countered, well He wants us to be good stewards of our money doesn't he?  This however could be something that Jon Acuff likes to refer to as a "Jesus Juke."  

So I think at this point in my walk, I can't confirm either side, because I'm been on both sides.  Right now I don't have a definitive answer and I don't want to Jesus Juke you.

No comments:

Post a Comment