Friday, January 21, 2011

Pity the man who falls and has no one to pick him up

Recently I have been assessing my relationship with Christ. I feel that this is something that is necessary with every follower, on a frequent basis. As I considered it there are some passages of Scripture that I believe come together to point to a way that our relationship should work. I highly doubt any of this is revolutionary, however I do feel obligated to share.

When the Bible talks about people doing things, they are typically doing them in pairs. From Genesis in the beginning with Adam and Eve (Gen. 2:18), to the disciples (Luke 10:1) and Paul's ministry (Acts 13:4) going out by two. This concept of it's not good for man to be alone, is not simply for emotional well being. I believe this is for spiritual well being. This concept of the accountability partner. Think about it. When we are surrounded by Christ followers we are going to be digging deeper, drawing closer to Christ. We need this fellowship in order to have a deeper relationship with Christ.

When I say fellowship though we aren't talking about our current modern idea of fellowship, where we all get together "to relax and enjoy ourselves." The fellowship that I speak of is New Testament fellowship, where believers met together to worship God, through song and the studying of Scriptures. They enjoyed doing this so much, they found such joy in this, that worshipping was their fellowship, it wasn't all fun and games like modern Christianity has turned it into.

As Christians, if we could grasp the need to hold each other accountable, the idea of being in constant connection with Christ, no telling the change we could make.

No comments:

Post a Comment