Saturday, January 15, 2011

Questions about Church

I was recently asked the following list of questions, below each question was my response. I felt like this was something that everyone could benefit from.



I am looking for some input on college ministry. I never even was in a youth group or college ministry. I wasn’t in church at that time of my life.
If you have a few minutes, could you answer a few questions….as many or as few as you can.
Thank you. You just don’t know how much I appreciate it.


1. When you went to college, what kept you in church? Or what took you from church?
(that hottie, your parents couldn’t tell you what to do anymore, didn’t want to get up, my friends were going, just wanted to go….whatever it was)

1. I stayed in church because it was an every Sunday thing. It was my lifestyle (originally). It wasn't until about 4 months into the "finding a church" process that I developed my true reason for staying in church, which you will find in #2

2. If you went, what pulled you to that church?

2. I ended up at London because it was a place where I could not only learn (you can learn wherever you are as long as you are willing) but I also had the opportunity to invest in the church as well (which is the real reason why we should be a part of a church). London runs a split worship service (half hymns/ half contemporary) is welcoming to all visitors (seriously) and has opportunities to invest back into the congregation on several levels.

3. What would bring you to a service?
Cool worship, alternative, contemporary, hymns, none at all?
The time….Sunday morning, one evening, an afternoon….?
Food?
3. I personally believe that "church services" should involve the entire church, from the age of accountability into senior citizens. Time of day, or day of the week doesn't matter to me as long as if it is what is known as a traditional church service, it involves the entire church. I do not believe that a College service should ever replace a church service, though I do believe it is a good supplementation to use as a way to help ease college students back into the church (over 78% of students right now have been involved in church in the past for more than 6 months at a time).

I personally enjoy a more modern service, however recently I have come to notice that more services are becoming a show than a gathering of believers. When we reach this state in the church it is no longer what is meant to be.


4. Was it important that someone from the ministry made you feel like they cared?
4. It is extremely important that every member of the body of believers feels welcome. If members of the body do not feel welcome then the body is not living what it is teaching (unless of course it is teaching segregation, which is a sin).

5. Does age matter?
Anything else you want to share……
5. Every group of believers should at least have a group of older believers in order to train the next generation of believers into action. If you are missing this, then you lack the wisdom and direction that every body of believers needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment