Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Everybody loves him, but they can't get close, at least that's what he's told

What defines a friendship?

Many would quote Proverbs 18:24

"24 A man of many companions may come to ruin,
but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."


Typically, we just see the second part of that verse, and really I just looked it up for the last part, I didn't even realize the first part.

This is just goes to show you how much God is leading me towards what I need to see right now. Just so everyone knows, what I write about, it isn't stuff I just pick up, it's something I've heard or thought of, and God has prodded me to search further, I'm just asking ya'll to go on the journey with me.

Here I am right now, sitting in my dorm room (I really should be reading something for classes, but it's not overly important at the moment...) And this has been on my heart for the past few days. Last night I ate supper by myself, now I say this not to bring pity on myself, or any other form of glory or what you would think, I'm using it for a point.

When I started out this year at Tech, I had about six friends in the Arkansas Tech Network, two of which were freshmen like me, one an alum, and three who were current students. I have now expanded to Fifty-One friends from the Arkansas Tech Network. That is more people than I can tag in this note! But to be honest with you, there were probably three of them in the caf last night, and I didn't feel comfortable going up and eating with any of them.

A Friend who sticks closer than a brother. Really? I mean I honestly, have to say, I don't have a friend like that. I never have. Now I have many companions. MANY companions. I mean who can seriously go through all 400 and something friends, and remember each of their names? That's something I can do, not to gloat, but I can. But I can honestly say that I wouldn't feel comfortable walking up to any one of them and telling them some things about me.

It's not supposed to be that way. But I am yet to find someone who is willing to invest the time to get to know me like that. Now it can be disheartening, but at this point I am maintaining hope that it's simply because Christ is yet to provide me with the right person to be that friend. Because I certainly don't want to come to ruin. I mean none of us would even wish that on somebody. (well maybe we would.............but that would be a sin....so we don't). But it says MAY come to ruin. So there is hope yet!

(Title from Star of the Show by Everyday Sunday)

1 comment:

  1. You hit the hot button for many people on this one. Most people in this world feel this way and either are not willing to express it or don't realize the origin of the feelings. The journey to 'a friend who is closer than a brother" is long, difficult and dangerous. Yet the benefit of knowing that someone cares for you just the way you are is very comforting. For me the journey began with a prayer. I prayed, "God bring someone into my life who will love me just they way that I am." Twelve years later, I met her and 20 years later we are still married. But in the process of the last 20 years, I realized that not only did I long for someone to love me just they way I am, I also longed to be understood and to be heard without judgment. This too began with a prayer. "Lord connect me with real men who can relate to me, understand me and challenge me." Over time God has brought five men into my life with whom I feel understood and challenged. Men with whom I share my most intimate thoughts and most vile sin. Men who love and accept me as I am, where I am without judgment, but who also challenge me to take the next step in my faith journey in Christ.

    I suggest that you begin with a prayer of your own, and someday when you least expect it, God will present before you that someone or multiple someones who will become the friend that is closer than a brother.

    Until then, maybe your dad would walk this journey with you.

    ReplyDelete